GDP Growth Rate QoQ Flash (Q1)- Netherlands
The Netherlands is the sixth-largest economy in the Euro Zone and an important transportation hub in Europe. The Dutch economy depends heavily on foreign trade, with exports accounting for 83 percent of GDP and imports for 72 percent. Household consumption is the main component of GDP (45 percent) followed by government expenditure (26 percent), gross fixed capital formation (18 percent), and net trade (11 percent).
Balance of Trade (MAR) – Italy
In 2017, Italy's trade surplus fell to EUR 47 billion from a record high of EUR 50 billion in the previous year, as imports jumped 9 percent to EUR 401 billion, the highest level since 2011, and exports rose at a softer 7 percent to an all-time high of EUR 448 billion. The most significant trade surpluses were recorded with the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Poland, and Japan; and the biggest trade deficits with China, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, and Russia.
Fed Bullard Speech - United States
In the United States, the authority to set interest rates is divided between the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve (Board) and the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC). The Board decides on changes in discount rates after recommendations submitted by one or more of the regional Federal Reserve Banks. The FOMC decides on open market operations, including the desired levels of central bank money or the expected federal funds market rate.
GDP Growth Rate QoQ Prel (Q1) – Poland
Poland is the 8th biggest economy in the European Union, yet GDP per capita remains significantly below the EU average. The country's industrial base combines coal, textile, chemical, machinery, iron, and steel sectors and has expanded more recently to include fertilizers, petrochemicals, machine tools, electrical machinery, electronics, cars, and shipbuilding. On the expenditure side, household consumption is the main component of GDP. It accounts for 60 percent of its total use, followed by gross fixed capital formation (20 percent) and government expenditure (18 percent). Exports of goods and services account for 47 percent of GDP while imports account for 46 percent, adding 1 percent of total GDP.
Balance of Trade (MAR) – Spain
Spain runs systemic trade deficits due to high imports of fuel and high added-value goods. Spain’s main exporting sectors are capital goods; food, beverages, and tobacco; chemical products and vehicles. The largest shares by sector of Spain’s imports are those of capital goods, chemical products; energy and food, beverages, and tobacco. Exports to the European Union represent more than 60% of total exports and those to the rest of the world amount to almost 40% of total exports. Imports from the European Union account for over 50% of total imports, only slightly more than purchases from the rest of the world. Spain’s trade surplus with the European Union has been widening while the trade deficit with the rest of the world has been expanding.